top of page

Bleach vs The Mould - Facts

Chlorine bleach does not kill mold, it merely bleaches it - meaning that it takes away the color of the mold.  

Chlorine Bleach does kill bacteria and viruses, but has not been proven effective in killing molds. Bleach itself is 99% water. Water is one of the main contributors of the growth of harmful bacteria and mold. Current situations using bleach re-grew and regenerated mold and bacteria twice the CFU counts than were originally found before bleaching, within a short period of time. Bleach is an old method used for some bacteria and mold. It is the only product people have known for years. The strains now associated within Indoor Air quality issues are resistant to bleach.

What potential mold 'killing' power chlorine bleach might have, is diminished significantly as the bleach sits in warehouses, on grocery store shelves or inside your home or business 50% loss in killing power in just the first 90 days inside a never opened jug or container. Chlorine constantly escapes through the plastic walls of its containers.

The ionic structure of bleach prevents Chlorine from penetrating into porous materials such as drywall and wood and it just stays on the outside surface Mold has enzyme roots growing inside the porous construction materials and the water content of the bleach penetrates and actually helps the mold. This is why a few days later you will notice darker, more concentrated mold growing (faster) on the bleached area.  

Chlorine Bleach accelerates the deterioration of materials and wears down the fibers of porous materials.

Chlorine Bleach is not registered with the EPA as a disinfectant to kill mold. You can verify this important fact for yourself when you are unable to find an EPA registration number for killing mold on the label of any brand of chlorine bleach.

Chlorine bleach off gases for a period of time, this off gassing can be harmful to humans and animals.   

Chlorine bleach will evaporate within a short period of time. If the area is not dry when the bleach evaporates, or excess moisture is still prevalent you could potentially exacerbate the original contaminated area.


bottom of page